Medicare is individual health insurance that includes Medicare Part A (hospital) and Medicare Part B (outpatient). However, Original Medicare doesn’t cover everything, it isn’t free, and some Americans incur late enrollment penalties. Wherever you are in your Medicare journey – just beginning your research, needing to brush up on facts, or helping a loved one, neighbor or friend navigate their options – CLC and Perennial Advantage are here to assist you!
Did you know that Christian Living Communities has three Medicare Advantage plans created just for our residents? That’s right! Since 2020, Christian Living Communities has been an owner of our own Perennial Advantage plan. We want to extend the continuum of services and care offered to people who choose to make a CLC community their home. By having our own Medicare Advantage plan, along with in-community health clinics, we can offer a higher level of coordinated care.
CLC’s residents at Clermont Park, Holly Creek, and Someren Glen will have three Medicare Advantage Plans to choose from:
- The Freedom (HMO) plan is for residents with Medicare A & B who are living in an Independent or Assisted Living neighborhood.
- The Strive (HMO I-SNP) plan is for residents with Medicare A & B and Medicaid, and who are living in a Skilled Nursing neighborhood or are living in an Assisted Living neighborhood and need assistance with two or more activities of daily living.
- The Premier (HMO I-SNP) plan is for residents with Medicare A & B, and who are living in a Skilled Nursing neighborhood or are living in an Assisted Living neighborhood and need assistance with two or more activities of daily living.
All three plans have enhanced benefits that go beyond what Original Medicare covers and may include:
- Preventive and comprehensive dental
- Vision for eyewear and/or contacts
- Over the counter allowance for health products
- Online physical fitness and memory fitness platforms
- Companion care
- Massage therapy
- Flex card for fitness classes, personal training, personal care items
- Dining packages
- Incontinence supplies
- Wheelchair cushions
- Routine podiatry care
Christian Living Communities encourages all residents to review their Medicare options during the upcoming Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) which runs from October 15, 2023 through December 7, 2023. During AEP, Medicare beneficiaries can change their Medicare plan to better suit their healthcare needs. Medicare beneficiaries can change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan, switch between different Medicare Advantage plans, enroll in prescription drug plans or change to a different prescription drug plan.
Some things to consider during AEP:
- Provider networks – you may want to change plans to access a border network of healthcare professionals
- Prescription coverage
- Additional benefits – Medicare Advantage plans do often include benefits that go above original Medicare coverage
- Chronic Conditions – Medicare Advantage sometimes offers enhanced coverage and specialized care management programs
- Savings – Medicare plans have different costs (premium, deductible, copays) and switching to a plan with lower out of pocket costs allow you to keep more money in your pocket
A great way to prepare for AEP is to use CLEAR questioning:
- C – What do you currently have for Medicare coverage?
- L – What are you looking for in your Medicare plan?
- E – What do you find effective about your current Medicare coverage?
- A – What would you like to alter or change about your current Medicare coverage?
- R – Who is responsible for making the decision about your Medicare coverage
These questions will help you determine what you are looking for in a Medicare plan and is a great starting point when comparing Medicare options.
Christian Living Communities has a dedicated Perennial Advantage Medicare Benefit Consultant who can meet with you during AEP to review your Medicare Options, conduct a plan comparison with your current coverage and the Perennial Advantage plans, walk through the enhanced benefits, and discuss and how you can benefit from joining a Christian Living Communities Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan.
About the Author
Laura Roese joined the Christian Living Communities team in 2021, supporting the marketing initiatives of several CLC owned communities, CLC’s “corporate” brand, and organizational departments. Laura has more than ten years of experience in brand and product marketing, content writing, and website content management.